Friday 5 August 2011

Inspector Singh investigates...

I have to confess I’m a great fan of Shamini Flint’s idiosyncratic Singaporean detective. The grumpy-but-lovable Singh is a very engaging character, and his intricate cases are a good way of introducing vibrant and multi-faceted Southeast Asia to a much wider audience.

Of course, I have my quibbles. The latest, ‘A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree’, maybe gives a bit too much ground to the popular impression that Cambodia is mainly Angkor and the Khmer Rouge.

And I’m not sure Inspector Singh’s impressions of Cambodia would encourage people to go there – which would be a pity, as it’s a highly rewarding place to visit, on many levels.

But Flint writes very enjoyably, and aspects of her stories have a habit of staying with you long after you’ve forgotten about more “serious” books.

I can imagine using this series with undergrads in an Introduction to Southeast Asia course. “You’ve enjoyed the stories, now critique the political aspects” – that kind of thing.

Yep, I know how to take the fun out of anything…  

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to read any Shamini Flint but I am told that they are a good introduction to the flavour of the region.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are really welcome, but will be moderated before being displayed.